English Language

Some visa categories require you to demonstrate a competent level of Speaking and Listening in English Language. This might be as part of your student visa, work visa, family visa and settlement visa applications.

For entry to the UK as the partner/spouse you must pass the minimum requirement at level A1. The most common test to undertake will be the Life Skills. Once in the UK and as part of any subsequent extension applications you must demonstrate that your English language has improved by passing a higher level at A2 and then level B1 respectively as part of any settlement application.

Top Tip

Make sure you book your test with a UKVI/Home Office approved Test Provider.  If you are not sure how to check then give IJN Law a call and we check for you.

If it’s done with a provider not on the list then your visa application is likely to be refused.

The rules surrounding the English language requirement are subject to change. If you are not sure which test to sit then just ask to speak with one of our friendly advisers and we can point you in the right direction.